The Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat (Nile-SEC) is the executive arm of the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) based in Entebbe, Uganda. Established in November 2002 by the Nile Council of Ministers (Nile-COM), Nile-SEC is a strong institution, with highly competent staff able to deliver critical services and products for sustainable development in the Basin.
Nile-SEC is led by an Executive director and structured in three major departments, namely Strategic Planning and Management, Water Resources Management and Finance and Administration.
Our Vision: ‘A Centre of Excellence for supporting Nile Cooperation’.
Our Mission: ‘To facilitate basin-wide dialogue and provide a comprehensive knowledgebase to NBI Member States, to inform decision making and prudent management and development of the shared Nile Basin water resources’.
To achieve its Mission, Nile-SEC is guided by four strategic objectives:
- To nurture cooperation among the basin states (will also result into increased country commitment).
- To strengthen the relevant capacities of Member States for cooperative water resources management and development.
- To increase utilization of knowledge for decision making and improve performance in trans-boundary water resources management and development.
- To strengthen Nile-SEC institutional capacity.
Our Core Values
- Team spirit
- Respect for diversity (especially in cultures and ideas)