The highest political and decision making body is the Nile Council of Ministers (Nile-COM), comprised of Ministers in charge of Water Affairs in the Member States.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Nile-COM
- Approve annual work plan and budget
- Ensure smooth implementation of NBI’s activities
- Ensure government contribution from Member Countries as well as external support agencies and NGOs
- Appoint and terminate the services of the Executive Director on recommendation of the Nile Technical Advisory Committee
- Take all policy and political decisions of the organization
- Approve the filling of other senior posts by the Nile Technical Advisory Committee
Hon. Sam Cheptoris
Hon. Celestin Ndayizeye
H. E. Athis Kabongo Kalonji
Hon. Dr. Mohamed Abdel Ati
Hon. Dr. Seleshi Bekele
Hon. Eugene L. Wamalwa, EGH
Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Water and Irrigation
Hon. Dr. Vincent Biruta
Minister of Natural Resources, Rwanda
Hon. Sophia Pal Gai
Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation
Hon. Amb. Mutaz Musa Abdalla Salim
Hon. Eng. Gerson Lwenge (MP)
Minister of Water and Irrigation, Tanzania
The Nile-COM is supported by the Nile Technical Advisory Committee (Nile-TAC), comprised of 20 senior government officials, two from each of the Member States.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Nile-TAC
- Offer technical support and advice to the Nile Council of Ministers on matters related to the management and development of the Nile waters.
- Act as an interface between the Nile-COM and development partners, and between Nile-COM and the Secretariat, programmes and projects of the NBI.
- Provide oversight for NBI programmatic activities.